Friday, January 15, 2010

12 Reasons I Don’t Go to Sporting Events Anymore

Why I No Longer Go to Sporting Events

1. Every time I went, they asked me for money.

2. The people sitting near me didn’t seem very friendly.

3. The seats were too hard and not comfortable.

4. The coach never came to greet me.

5. The referee made a decision that I disagreed with.

6. I was sitting with some hypocrites who only came to see what others were wearing.

7. Some games went into overtime, and I was late getting home.

8. The band played some songs that I had never heard before.

9. The games are scheduled when I want to do other things.

10. My parents took me to too many games when I was growing up.

11. Since I read a book on sports, I feel that I know more than the coaches anyway.

12. And I don’t want to take my children, because I want them to choose for themselves what sport they like best.

What would happen if we approached church responsibilities with the same enthusiasm we give to our hobbies, sports, and other extracurricular activities?
 
Taken from Charles R. Swindoll, Day by Day with Charles Swindoll


Something to think about. There's some humor there, but there is a serious aspect to it as well. Imagine giving any of these lame excuses when you stand before the all powerful God who has created the universe, when He is demanding an account for the way you spent your life on earth. Do you think any of them would fly?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've read a lot of Swindoll over the years, but I don't remember reading that little peace of wisdom.
That was good!

Thanks for sharing, Ron

AL said...

I actually first heard this in church and had to come home and hunt it down.
I go to an Evangelical Free Church, and Swindoll is the famous guy that was first associated with the EFCA.