Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Tracts

Tracts are a wonderful resource for sharing the Gospel. I know, I know, what comes to mind is something like those old Chick tracts - little comic booklets with a dramatic message - I never liked those myself. Or those other ones that say "Jesus loves you and He's just waiting for you to open the door" or "you have a God-shaped hole in your heart."

Not that some of these haven't worked to bring someone to a knowledge of the Savior - God can use anything for His good.

But I never liked them. I didn't feel that it was a defendable message, if anyone were to question something in it, I wouldn't be able to answer. I never used to share my faith, because I felt this way. I just didn't know how to defend my belief if someone questioned me on it.

But that all changed back in October of 2006 when I went to a one day Evangelism Crash Course. I learned how to share my faith Biblically, how to answer objections and not fear those questions that I couldn't answer. What's wrong with simply saying, "That's a good question. I don't know the answer, but I'll look into it and get back to you." You can find an answer to just about every objection anyone's ever made with a quick internet search these days.

Anyway, I realized that I needed to be out sharing my faith on a regular basis, and started going with a group on Saturday nights. We generally follow a three pronged approach: Open air preaching, speaking to people one 2 one, and handing out tracts.

I want to concentrate on tracts in this post, as it's a good starting point. These are different from the tracts I was used to seeing in the past.
There's the trillion dollar bill, with a complete Gospel message on the back that makes sense and takes you through a few of the Ten Commandments in order to answer the question of how God sees your sins.

These are probably the easiest to give out. You can give it to someone in order to open a conversation, or just leave it with them to read later if you are not comfortable speaking to people yet. People love them and they're rarely rejected. There are also million dollar bills and celebrity ones with caricatures of different celebrities on them.

There are IQ Tests, which are business card sized and easy to carry.

These have simple riddle type questions or illusions on them with the Gospel on the back. The answer to the question on the front is buried in the text on the back, so people will read through the whole thing.

A Gift For You
 These can be used for giving cash to people, whether it is homeless people, a high school or college graduate or someone else. It has a Gospel message on the card and little tabs to hold a dollar bill, or a five or ten or whatever you can afford to put in it.

Are You Good Enough To Get Into Heaven?
This one gets directly to the point. It is a complete booklet that takes you through the entire Ten Commandments and gives the Gospel message after you realize your need for a Savior.



If you prefer the old comic type that I'm not really fond of, well, they have those, too!  This one will take you through a test to see if you really are a "good person" by God's standard or not. 




 

 If you really don't feel ready to even hand out a million dollar bill - fear has a hold on you but you know you've got to start somewhere, the wallet tracts are great.

They're designed to look like a wallet with money sticking out of it. Just leave them laying around anywhere, there's a great Gospel message inside.

There are many more interesting tracts available at LivingWaters.com

Check it out and get yourself equipped, for it is commanded that every believer share their faith, and you want to be sure that you're doing it Biblically.

No comments: