Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fishing?

Jesus said, "Follow me and I'll make you fishers of men." (Matt 4:19, Mark 1:17)

Wouldn't it seem then, that if you're not fishing, then neither are you following?

“Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say? - Luke 6:46

The Great Commission is given in Matt 28:19-20, Mark 16:15 and Acts 10:42.

We are commanded to go.

The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. - 2 Peter 3:9

For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live! - Ezekiel 18:32

And how can they know, unless someone tells them? “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” How, then, can they call on the one they have not believed in? And how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard? And how can they hear without someone preaching to them? - Romans 10:13-14

This is not just pleading with you to reach out and witness to others, it is commanded and you will be held accountable:

When I say to a wicked man, ‘You will surely die,’ and you do not warn him or speak out to dissuade him from his evil ways in order to save his life, that wicked man will die for his sin, and I will hold you accountable for his blood. But if you do warn the wicked man and he does not turn from his wickedness or from his evil ways, he will die for his sin; but you will have saved yourself. - Ezekiel 3:18-19

And no, this was not only for Ezekiel as a watchman over Israel in the OT. Paul states the following in the NT, which sounds like he's referring to that verse in the OT.

Therefore, I declare to you today that I am innocent of the blood of all men. For I have not hesitated to proclaim to you the whole will of God. - Acts 20:26-27

Don't misunderstand and think that you will be saved by doing good works. Obedience to these commands does not save you, for you are saved by grace alone, through faith (Eph 2:8-9 ), yet these works are evidence of that true saving faith (James 2:26).

“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. - Matt 7:21

No comments: