Friday, February 26, 2010

The Crutch of Atheism

As I was driving to work, I realized that I was going to be late. I don't like being late. But then I saw a car that looked like one of my co-workers, and I felt better, knowing I wasn't the only one running late this morning.
Now, why did I feel relief when someone else was late with me? It didn't change my status any. I was still late, yet somehow I felt safer, as if it wasn't a problem, as long as I wasn't the only one.

This reminded me of a recent discussion I've been having with an atheist on the subject of whether or not atheism is really the psychological crutch instead of Christianity, as so many unbelievers attempt to assert.

I was in the wrong being late for work and I knew it. Yet I felt better that someone else was with me in this experience, even though it changed nothing in my lateness. "Misery loves company" they say, so if I'm in trouble, at least there will be someone else with me.

I think this is the same sort of thing that happens with atheists, as they try to convince themselves that there is no God and no judgment. If they can convince others to agree with them, they feel like they must actually have a point, and if not, at least there are others in the same predicament. We tend to feel that there is safety in numbers, and want others around us, especially in times of trouble, for comfort.

The Bible even tells us of this.

Romans 1:32
Although they know God's righteous decree that those who do such things deserve death, they not only continue to do these very things but also approve of those who practice them.


Oh, by the way, the co-workers car that I thought I saw turned off before my work, so I was mistaken and got to work about ten minutes late, all alone. Not that big a deal, I worked ten minutes late as well, and will need to get moving a little earlier in the mornings from now on.

But a much bigger deal is the fact that every one of us will stand before God on Judgment Day, regardless of what we believe. We will not be graded on a curve or compared to anyone else in sinful humanity, we will stand alone before God, measured by His standards and we will give account for our lives and the things we have done or not done. His standards are high and perfection is required (Matt 5:48).

The standard is given in outline form in the Ten Commandments, and not one of us has kept them completely (Rom 3:10, Psalm 14:3, 1John 1:8) . Without Jesus Christ paying our fine for us, we will be found guilty and condemned. What will you do?

Repent and trust in Jesus Christ alone for your salvation, for there is no other name given among men by which we must be saved (Acts 4:12, Col 1:28).

No comments: